Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sculptures In a Bag

The final product...Derek's "rocks".

I was looking for something different to do with Derek besides the usual watercolor, markers, and painting wooden frames etc.  I came across an idea to make a sculpture.

Materials:
1 cup of Plaster of Paris
½ cup of water
Ziploc bags
Paint

Add 1 cup of Plaster of Paris and ½ cup or water to a Ziploc bag. 
(**I found that using 1/2 cup of Plaster of Paris and 1/4 cup of water worked better)
Seal, letting out as much air as possible.
Double bag it (just in case!).


Now let your child squish and squeeze it.  In 10-15 minutes it will get warm and start to harden.  (**The original idea said it would only take a few minutes, I found that it took longer and Derek got bored.  He could have also been bored because he was tired.)


Once it has hardened, you can remove the bags and they are ready to paint.  (**I removed the bags over a trash can as there was some crumbling.  I also let them dry a bit longer before painting them.  They felt a little wet when I removed the bags.)


Finally, I got out the paints and Derek painted his “rocks” (as he calls them).

No comments:

Post a Comment