Friday, June 15, 2012

What Are We Doing Today?




As a teacher I was used to being off in the summer and home with my son anyway.  But now that I am a SAHM, I will be home with him and his sister every day.  He will not be going back to daycare in mid-August so it’s more than 9 weeks to keep him occupied.  Preschool starts in September and is only two mornings a week.  I like to be organized and have a plan.  I decided to make a calendar that shows the different things we will be doing through pictures.  This started in May when I made one showing when he would turn three and when he was going to have his party. The calendar is on our refrigerator and we cross off each day as it ends so that he can easily see what, if anything, we are doing the next day.  I used different icons to mean different things.  Things that I indicated are soccer, story time, the beach, birthdays, camp, fireworks for July 4th, a ferris wheel for carnivals, Giant for grocery day, and I have a school icon for when school starts.

He really enjoys looking at the calendar and seeing when things are going to happen.  It’s also a great way for him to start building calendar skills beyond just knowing the days of the week and being familiar with the months of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment