Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Day In the Life and Colored Rice


As a teacher, I got to experience the best of both worlds: working mom and SAHM. I was a SAHM for 9 weeks in the summer with my son, Derek.  After having our second child, Brooke, in April, I am now officially a SAHM.  Derek still went to daycare part-time until mid-June and is now home with me ALL.THE.TIME.  Love him!  But he is three. And a boy. An active boy. Who doesn’t nap.  So I like to come up with fun activities to keep him entertained. 

In a previous post, I talked about the calendar I made for him that keeps his activities straight.  We don’t have an activity everyday, but it is nice for him to count down to soccer or to a beach trip.  On the days that we don’t have something planned outside of the home, I try to plan fun things to do at home.  Especially on days that are 100 degrees with a heat index of 105! (Like the past two days).

Today.  A day in the life of a SAHM with a 3 year old and a 2 month old.

My day began at 6:15am.  Today I managed to shower, take Brooke to the doctor (Bryan met us there) do 3 loads of laundry, fold 6 loads of laundry (I had 3 sitting there from about a week ago), play with Derek, cook with Derek, consol a screaming baby after getting shots, make dinner, and begin reorganizing my craft room (furniture moved and floors cleaned).  Now I just want some ice cream and we are out!


Colord Rice Sensory Box
I found this on Pinterest after my friend posted about it on Facebook (what would we do without social media?)  I made the rice yesterday but did not follow the exact directions on the website.  Fun for indoor play on a super hot day like today!



Here is what I did…
1. I got a 10 lb bag of white rice (store brand was about $7)
2. I put 4 cups in a gallon sized Ziploc bag and added 3 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol and one small bottle of food coloring (you know the kind you buy in a 4 pack at the grocery store?)
3. I sealed the bag (well, I thought I did, the yellow and the blue not so much, there was some spillage on the kitchen floor) and mixed it all together. 
4. I lined baking sheets with foil and spread the rice on the sheets. I put them outside in the sun to dry (it was 100 degrees out so this didn’t take long).

5. After they were dry, I put the colored rice into piles in a large plastic tote.  This way Derek would see all of the colors and he would get to mix them up.


I was able to make 5 different colors with just a little rice leftover.  I added dinosaurs and cups to the rice and he played with it for over an hour!




S’mores Croissants
use crescent rolls and add chocolate chips and mini marshmallows then bake!

Next time I will add more chocolate!


Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas

I managed to get Brooke to sit in the bouncer and fall asleep long enough to prepare dinner.  I put it in the refrigerator so that if I was occupied when it was time to cook it, Bryan could put it in the oven or I could manage to do it quickly.  It was very good and very easy to prepare.  Even Derek ate it! (He’s pretty picky but he ate it wrapped up in a tortilla!)



If only I could be this productive everyday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment