Monday, August 15, 2011

Breakfast Freezer Meals


Well, summer break is quickly ending which means I will be returning to work after a glorious nine weeks at home with my 2 year old.  The beginning of the school year is always a challenge from setting up the classroom, meetings, and just the all around balancing work and home life routine.  In 2009 when I was preparing to return to work from an extended summer break that included maternity leave, I had an idea to freeze several meals that would help make the transition easier.  I certainly did not have enough meals in the freezer for every night, but it at least covered some of the nights and gave me less to think about when I was adjusting to being a new working mom.  Planning my weekly dinners ahead of time helped as well and I still do this.  I may not “stick” to the exact plan, but I at least have an idea of 6 dinners for the week (we allow one night for eating out/carry out).  Since then, I have tried to “stock up” on home made frozen dinners when I can.

I am talking about making dinners but the title of this blog is BREAKFAST Freezer Meals.  Well, I thought, if I can do this for dinner, why not breakfast?  Derek loves sweet potato pancakes.  I had already been making large batches of mini pancakes and freezing them in small portions for him.  What about for Mommy and Daddy?  It’s challenging to make eggs before heading off to work so typically cereal, a bagel, or a protein bar (in my case) would be the breakfast option.  Now there are more options!

Whole-Grain Waffles

one batch of waffles and 3 batches of mix for the freezer

This recipe made a big batch of dry mix that can be frozen up to 6 months.  I froze it in 2 cup portions.  2 cups of dry mix plus a few wet ingredients makes about 5 waffles.  I made one batch of 5 waffles to freeze.  They can be popped into the toaster!  Add blueberries or whatever you like to the batch before cooking them up!

mix together:
4c whole wheat flour
2c all-purpose flour
1c toasted wheat germ
1c toasted oat bran
1 c buttermilk blend powder (found where powdered milk is)
3 tbs baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

This makes about 8 1/2 cups and can be frozen in a Ziplock bag up to 6 months. I froze it in 2+ cup portions with the instructions on the bag. (4 batches)

To make waffles (about 5/batch):
2 c of mix
2 eggs
1 cup water
2 tbs canola oil
2 tbs honey (**do not use honey of making for a child under 1 yr old)

Ham, Cheese, and Egg Burritos on Whole Wheat Tortillas

all wrapped up for the freezer!
(can be frozen up to one month)
You could add any breakfast meat or even veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment